Sump pumps play a pivotal role in keeping your home safe from water damage. When the heavy rains or melting snow cause water to accumulate in your yard, the sump pump can help prevent that moisture from entering your home and flooding your basement. Because of the importance of this system, when it malfunctions it’s important to have it repaired ASAP. When your unit needs maintenance, repairs or to be replaced, call Reliability Home Services for prompt and expert service in the Dundalk, MD area.
An issue with your main water line can cause serious damage to your home. When you have a problem, contact us to learn about our water line repair and installation services.
Why Sump Pumps Are Important
Your sump pump might not be top of mind — until you endure a severe storm and end up with standing water in your basement. This system helps prevent floodwaters from entering your home, usually in the basement but potentially to other levels as well. This can lead to severe property damage, costly repairs and even unsafe living conditions for your family due to electrical shorts and the growth of mold, mildew and bacteria.
Different Types of Sump Pumps
When selecting a sump pump for your property you have numerous options. Some of these include:
- Pedestal units: In these systems, the pump is set at the top of the sump basin. In case the unit needs to be repaired, this location allows technicians to easily access it. To pump the water out, a pipe runs down to the bottom of the basin where it removes the water via an installed apparatus.
Submersible systems: These units have a waterproof motor. For a quieter operation, they are placed into the sump pit.
- Sewage units: These systems are used when black wastewater needs to be moved up from a basement below the ground surface to a higher level. These pumps grind the waste into fine slurry, which is then pumped upward into a septic tank system.
- Septic effluent pumps: This special-purpose unit is used to force liquefied septic fluids through drain fields.
- Battery backup: This is important to have in case you have a power failure. This allows your unit to keep working even without power.
At Reliability Home Services, we have experience working with all types of sump pumps in Dundalk, MD, so you can count on us to be there for you whether you need sump pump maintenance, repair, or replacement.
Do you suspect you have a gas leak? After evacuating your home, call us to learn about our gas line repair and installation services.
Common Sump Pump Problems
Occasionally, you might encounter issues with your sump pump. Some of the most common problems you might face can include:
- Power failures: If your power goes out in extreme weather, your system will fail to work without a battery backup. This can cause your house to flood.
- Float valve issues: Your float valve should be free from any obstructions to avoid more serious problems.
- Underpowered pumps: If your system is not designed — or sized — for the specific needs of your property, you should have a new unit of the correct size installed.
- Frozen or clogged discharge pipe: If your pipes are frozen they can prevent your system from working properly.
- Worn out pump motors: You should consider having your unit replaced if the motor in your system wears out.
If you need sump pump repair, don’t hesitate to call Reliability Home Services. We can recommend the right solution, whether that means fixing your current unit or providing installing a new sump pump.