HVAC maintenance, also known as preventative maintenance, refers to the regular inspection, cleaning, and servicing of heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems. The goal of HVAC maintenance is to keep the system running at its highest level of efficiency, extend its lifespan, improve indoor air quality, increase comfort, and improve safety. Below, we look at seven practical benefits of regular HVAC preventative maintenance.
1. Improved Energy Efficiency Regular HVAC maintenance can improve energy efficiency by keeping the system running at its optimal level. During maintenance, a technician will inspect and clean the various components of the system, such as the air filters, coils, and ducts. It helps to remove any dirt or debris that can impede the system’s performance and reduce its energy efficiency. The technician can also identify any worn or damaged parts that may be causing the system to work harder than it needs to and replace them if necessary. It’s also important that the refrigerant charge is properly set and the correct type is used, as it will also affect energy efficiency.
2. Extended Equipment Life The HVAC system is made up of many moving parts, and over time these parts can wear out or become clogged with dirt and debris. During a maintenance visit, a technician will thoroughly inspect the system and identify any potential issues that could cause damage or malfunction if not addressed. By addressing these issues in your HVAC maintenance checklist, the technician can help to prevent costly breakdowns and prolong the life of the equipment. It’s also important to note that the manufacturer’s recommendations should be followed for scheduled maintenance. Those are designed for the optimal running of the equipment.
3. Improved Indoor Air Quality One of the key components of the HVAC system is the air filter, which captures dust, allergens, and other particles as the air are circulated through the system. During a maintenance visit, a technician will inspect and replace the air filter as needed. This can help ensure that the air circulating through your home or business is as clean as possible. Another aspect that maintenance can improve is the performance of the equipment. For example, if the coils are dirty, it will make the system work harder, which can lead to insufficient dehumidification, which can cause mold growth, which is a serious indoor air quality problem. By keeping the HVAC system running at its optimal level, regular maintenance can help improve the overall air quality in your home.
4. Increased Comfort During a maintenance call, a technician will inspect and adjust the various components of the system to ensure that it is running at its optimal level. It can include adjusting the thermostat settings, calibrating the sensors, and fine-tuning the controls. These adjustments can help to ensure that the temperature and humidity levels in your home or business are maintained at a comfortable level throughout the year. The technician may also perform other tasks, such as
- Inspect the air ducts and registers
- Checking for proper air balance
- Inspect the safety controls and limits.
- Check the thermostat and re-calibrate the settings.
5. Improved Safety HVAC maintenance is a great way for a technician to inspect the various components of the system to ensure that they are functioning properly and safely. It includes inspecting and testing safety devices like the thermostat, pressure switches, and limit controls, which are designed to shut off the system in the event of an emergency or malfunction. Regular care and maintenance can help prevent carbon monoxide buildup, a dangerous and potentially lethal gas produced when fuels like gas and oil are burned. Improper venting or problems with the combustion chamber can cause carbon monoxide leaks, which can be extremely dangerous for the inhabitants of the building. Routine service helps to detect and fix potential safety hazards, such as gas leaks or carbon monoxide leaks, and also to ensure that the system is operating within safe limits, which can help to keep you and your family safe.
6. Fewer HVAC Repairs HVAC repairs and part replacement is expensive and can cost you hundreds of dollars. Regular HVAC maintenance can help to reduce the number of repairs needed for the system over time. An inspection can identify and fix potential problems before they become bigger, more expensive issues. For example, a dirty air filter can cause the system to work harder than it needs to, which can lead to increased wear and tear on the other components. By replacing the filter during a maintenance visit, the technician can help to prevent this additional wear and tear and extend the life of the other components. Regular maintenance also helps keep the system running smoothly, reducing the likelihood of unexpected breakdowns, which can be disruptive and costly to repair. By scheduling regular maintenance, you can help keep your HVAC system running at its best, saving you money in the long run on repairs and replacements.
7. Compliance with Warranty Most homeowners are unaware that neglect can void a furnace or air conditioner warranty. Certified HVAC maintenance can help ensure compliance with your system’s warranty. Many HVAC manufacturers require regular maintenance as a condition of the warranty. This means that if you don’t keep up with the required maintenance, your warranty may be voided. Regular maintenance can also provide a record of the system’s upkeep, which can be helpful if you ever need to make a warranty claim. Many manufacturers require proof of regular maintenance to be provided before a warranty claim will be considered. A maintenance log, or a contractor’s report can confirm that the required maintenance has been performed on time and to the right standards. It’s important to check the manufacturer’s recommendations and requirements for scheduled maintenance. Some may have specific intervals, while others may have specific procedures that need to be followed to ensure the warranty remains valid. Not following those recommendations may void the warranty and affect the equipment’s performance and lifespan.
Schedule HVAC Maintenance in Ellicott, Maryland Don’t let a broken-down HVAC jeopardize your family’s comfort and safety this summer. Contact Reliability Home Services for HVAC maintenance. We offer complete HVAC repair and maintenance in Ellicott City, Maryland. To schedule cooling services in Stewartstown, Pennsylvania, fill out our contact form or call us.