It’s important to know when you need to call an emergency plumbing service and when you should wait to pick up the phone. But many homeowners can’t tell the difference between an emergency plumbing problem and a minor issue. Find out when you really need to call for an immediate repair and don’t waste any time debating the issue the next time you find yourself in the midst of a plumbing disaster.
Signs You Need an Emergency Plumbing ServiceThere are a few circumstances that demand the skill of a 24 hour plumbing service. If any of the following happens in your home, don’t hesitate to pick up the phone and call your favorite plumber:
1. Toilet OverflowsAn overflowing toilet is a cause for concern. If you can’t stop the water from leaking, you’ll end up with serious water damage in your bathroom. This could lead to mold damage and costly cosmetic repairs.
As soon as you notice the problem, you should shut off the water valve. You can find it behind your toilet, and all you need to do is twist the valve counterclockwise. Although turning the water off will stop the constant flow, it won’t fix the issue. You’ll be without a working toilet until you call an emergency plumbing service.
No one should have to live without a functioning toilet. If yours is overflowing, don’t hesitate to have it fixed. The repair may be simple, but you’ll be grateful for the convenience of a working toilet.
2. Sewage Water Backs Up Into Your Tub or SinkSometimes, a home’s plumbing system behaves strangely. This is often a sign of a problem and cause for concern. If you notice brown water backing up into your tub when you run your washing machine or any similarly strange situations, you probably have a clog in your pipes.
The dirty water could be human waste, which is a health hazard. Before anyone gets sick or the problem worsens, you should contact a 24 hour plumbing service. They will do what it takes to remove the clog and restore your plumbing. The fix might involve hydro-jetting or using a drain snake to break up debris or roots in your sewer line.
3. A Pipe BurstOne of the direst of plumbing emergencies is a burst pipe. In only eight hours, a burst pipe can unleash as many as 100 gallons of water into your home. Failing to repair the pipe immediately will result in significant water damage to your property.
Under many circumstances, burst pipes are a result of corrosion. You can’t predict when the incident will happen, but you can control how you will react to it. As soon as you notice the issue, you should rush to shut off the water supply and call a plumber.
4. You See Unexplained Water DamageIf you notice water or water stains in your ceiling or wall, you could have a leaking pipe. Although this may not seem like cause for immediate concern, it should be. You need to find the source of the leak before you lose any more water.
A leaking pipe is often the sign of a serious plumbing issue. If you put off the repair, you’re taking a costly gamble. Save yourself the money and the headache by calling a plumber as soon as possible. They can identify the leak and stop it before more damage is done.
5. You Smell SewerYou should never be able to smell sewer in your home. If you do, there are a few potential problems. For one, you could have a blocked vent on your roof. The blockage would cause sewer gas to go through your drains, which is dangerous.
Another potential cause of the odor is sewer line damage. Once again, this is not something you should take lightly. The damage can lead to flooding, so the issue requires immediate attention.
When Can It Wait?Not all plumbing issues require you to call an emergency plumber. By scheduling a regular repair call on the following issues, you can save money on your repair costs. Keep in mind that you should always err on the side of caution. If you aren’t sure if your situation is an emergency, don’t hesitate to make the call.
1. Your Sink is Slow to DrainIf your sink is draining slowly, you have a clog somewhere in your pipes. Although the situation is inconvenient, it’s not an emergency. You can wait a few days to have a plumber identify the blockage and clear it.
2. You Have a Question About MaintenanceDo you have a burning question about how to maintain your plumbing system? If so, don’t rush to call the emergency plumber. Instead, call the regular line. You may even be able to get an answer to your question from the person who answers your call.
3. You Need Something InstalledPlumbing installation is not an emergency. Save yourself some money and call ahead to schedule an installation. Usually, you won’t need to wait too long for an appointment.
The Importance of Having a Plumber on Speed DialBefore you experience a plumbing emergency, you should have the number of a reputable plumber in your phone. When you have water gushing into your home, time is of the essence. You don’t have the luxury of researching plumbers, nor do you have the luxury of waiting a few days to contact an expert.
By knowing which 24 hour plumbing service you plan to use, you save yourself a major headache. You’ll know exactly who to call when you experience an issue. Because you’re not settling for the first name you find on an internet search, you can be confident that you’ll get great service. You also will get the problem resolved quickly, which saves you money.
Acting quickly prevents more damage and limits water damage. If you want to have the number for a reputable emergency plumbing service, learn more about us at Reliability Home Services. Contact us with any questions and save our number, so you’re prepared for the next plumbing emergency.