If you need a reputable HVAC contractor near you, there are certain measures to follow in order to find the right one for your home. Look for HVAC contractors in your area online, call them up and ask a lot of questions, then listen to your gut. Taking a few preparatory steps before you hire anyone will go a long way to ensure that the HVAC company you select is the right one for your home.
Research is Your FriendWhen looking for a quality HVAC company near you, it is important that you do the research. Do a Google search for HVAC companies near you. Then check their website, but don’t let a pretty website fool you. Anyone can pay money to have an impressive website. Go to the Contractors Board in your state and check to see if they are licensed, bonded and insured. Read their customer reviews, but take them with a grain of salt. Some unscrupulous contractors will pay for Five Stars. Also, ask your neighbors who they recommend as a reputable HVAC contractor.
Ask a Ton of QuestionsOnce you’ve gathered three possible contenders, call them up and ask questions. A quality HVAC contractor will have no problem answering these questions:
- What services do you currently offer?
- What areas do you work in?
- Do you offer emergency service?
- Do you offer flat rates?
- What brands do you carry?
- Do you have a warranty and how long is it?
- Ask them if they are licensed by the state, *(even if you found them on the Contractors Board, asking will show that you are a savvy consumer).
- Check Better Business Bureau for any customer complaints.
- If a contractor gives you a quote over the phone, be wary.
- The lowest bidder is not necessarily the best, and be cautious if the quote is very low.
- Ask for references and call them. A reputable HVAC contractor can and will provide references. Call the references and ask how the job went, ensure that the work to be done is clearly itemized in writing.
- Get it all in writing! Verbal agreements are fine, but they will not hold up in court.